Friday, August 31, 2007

Codrington-VC Bird International


Now that I've gotten comfortable with VFR flight in the Cessna, I thought it was a good time to start to doing simulated IFR flights. I used the FSX flight planner to plan an IFR flight from Codrington (BBQ/TAPH) on Barbuda to VC Bird International (ANU/TAPA) on Antigua, the other Island in the federation. I would take off from Codrington and climb to 2500 feet. I would intercept the 189 course to the VC Bird VOR (ANU). From there I would fly the VOR approach to rwy 7. This had me fly outbound on the 262 radial , to a procedure turn to the right (still at 2500 feet), then track back in on the 082 course. The initial line-up with the VOR didn't go so great, but eventually I got it. ATC then asked me to climb to 4000 feet. I continued along until I was about 10 nm out, when ATC asked me to do an expedited descent to 2500 feet. I continued at 2500 feet and before long I was over ANU. I turned to the 262 radial (again with some difficulty) and tracked outbound for aboug 7 nm. I turned right to heading 307, flew that course for a minute, turned back to heading 127 to interecept the 082 course. The final line-up went great. The approach went great as well, and I made a beautiful landing on runway 7. Not bad for the first time.

No comments: